Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Info Post



Irish Hen Harrier :-
Hi Elwyn, I've been alerted to your photos on birdguides.com. Well done, wonderful pics. This beautiful bird I ruined by putting on wing tags this summer as a youngster in West Clare, Ireland. She is from a brood of 4, hatched in a lovely quiet bog, with lots of green molinia and heather. She was a quite large bird (538g, Wing 254mm). I'm delighted to see she is still doing well (though I'd nearly hoped she'd stay on Skomer Island, where she'd spent the last month or so). Can you tell me about where you saw her. Where exactly is it? What is the habitat like? Is it a safe place? Plenty of food? Do you think she is roosting there also? Is it a known roosting area? What time of day did you see her and do you live in the region? She will forever be remembered as the first Hen Harrier proven to fly off the island of Ireland! And all thanks to yourselves in Wales. Her trip to Skomer was 285km from home, on a direct bearing of 112 degrees. This bearing from home to Skomer, crosses straight over Hook Head, where so many young Hen Harriers in Ireland are found each autumn and winter. I have long suspected and stated that Hen Harriers must be leaving Ireland at points like this, and that in the case of the South-East, these birds must be travelling to either Cornwall or Wales. Skomer would be the first landfall for such a journey in that direction. I have attached for you both the colour scheme for Ireland 2009 (if possible, you can circulate this to your contacts/on your website/offices etc). I also attach a photo of your new neighbour from when she was young(er)! and a map of her journey to date. I would very much appreciate it if you could send some of the hi-res shots you took of her, as it helps inform me as to her plumage and health. I would be delighted if you could pass on any further sightings, or let your colleagues/friends know to keep an eye out for her (unless it creates a scene and attention from landowners). Thanks and well done again Elwyn, a truly magnificent find! Make sure ye look after her! They're as precious over here as they are in Wales. And I've no doubt birds from Cymru are heading to Éireann! Barry

0 comments:

Post a Comment