Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, December 21, 2009

Info Post
During the usual monthly WeBs count today, nothing especially numerous but goosander numbers have risen to 20 (interestingly 10 males and 10 females, some still possibly paired - I wonder if they have had a poor breeding season)? Goldeneye numbers had risen to 22 and little grebes to not less than 18. Most of the other species were in fairly low numbers. I think Bosherston is probably the only place that know where I can watch birds through binoculars with a robin perched on them, or on my wrist, as I scan the waterfowl etc. I guess most of you probably know what I mean and have also had this experience!

Comparing this weeks count with one I did this same week 25 years ago, the only major differences were 98 coot today (291 coot in Dec 1984). No pochard today (59 in Dec 1984 - soon to rise to 150+ by the years end)! There were no goosanders in Dec 1984 - they were rather rare and exceptional 25 years ago. It will have to get quite a bit colder I feel for coot and pochard numbers to get back to the levels they used to reach.

0 comments:

Post a Comment