Breaking News
Loading...
Monday, January 3, 2011

Info Post


After a look at Broad Haven to Haroldson (2 Slavonian Grebe, 2 Velvet Scoter, 1 BT Diver, 1 GN Diver, 2 RT Diver, 88 Common Scoter including 35 close inshore at Settling Nose calling, 32 males protecting 3 females!), I went to Goultrop as I could see a gull roost gathering there from Broad Haven. I settled myself on the bench, with the light already fading, and scanned through the 2 smallish gull flocks offshore - 20+ LBBG, 30+ Common Gull, 30+ BH Gull, 1 ad Kittiwake). On a second scan between the two flocks, at 4.25pm, I nearly fell off the bench as an all white medium sized gull flew s/w (right to left) through my 'scope view! I watched it fly purposefully on the same s/w bearing for about 10-15 seconds by which time I had to adjust my position to avoid falling off the bench, only to to lose the bird as I did so. I spent the next 15 minutes frantically scanning with 'bins & 'scope but failed to pick the bird up either in flight or at rest on water or rocks. I managed to note the following: plumage all white, eye & bill looked dark (adult Ivory Gull should have a variable yellow tip but at the 300m+ range I was looking at not surprising I didn't see it), couldn't see the legs. Wings & tail were proportionally long, deep chested, and the flight was quite light but very direct. It would seem to be only one of 2 things - an adult Ivory Gull or an albino Common Gull (which do occur, but I have never seen). I am putting the news out as a possible Ivory as a) that is what it looked like and b) raising awareness will hopefully increase the chances of it being refound and identified one way or the other. They like seal/dolphin carcasses so I'm hoping that the dead seal pup at Monk Haven (3.5 miles ssw of Goultrop) is still there, and the fact that it was heading more or less in that direction is more than coincidence! It is worth checking any beach/rocky inlet/harbour very closely....

0 comments:

Post a Comment